Monday, September 20, 2010

Week 2 Edits: Blending Modes and Type Effects


1. Brothers: 9/19/2010; 5:35:10 PM; Fence by our apartment; f/5.6; 1/50 sec; sony a330; no flash

I am from a family for five girls. I have never had a brother and just love watching my sons bond. Bridger (my 2 year old) has loved Emmett (3 month old) since the day we brought him home. Bridger squeals with excitement with everything Emmett does. I wanted to capture a moment. Bridger was showing his new toy car to his little brother while helping him sit on his lap. To add the type effect I created two layers of text, with a mask for each, with words describing brothers. I changed the size, color, leading and opacity on each layer. Then I added the word "Brothers."


Original Images:

3. Original Temple: 9/19/2010; 7:13:52 PM; Field; f/22; 1/15 sec; sony a330; no flash
4. Erected 2008; 9/19/2010; 7:21:46 PM; temple; f/4; 1/20 sec; sony a330; no flash
5. Holiness: 9/19/2010; 7:23:14 PM; temple; f/4; 1/30 sec; sony a330; no flash

Blending was fun...but there are way too many options. I blended parts of the temple into the main picture of the temple. The "Holiness to the Lord the house of the Lord" is hiding in the bottom left. I wanted it to be hidden and not pop out. To blend the pictures I drug them onto the main image of the temple and did a "normal" blend. I adjusted the opacity on the different layers to make the original picture more visable. With a little cropping and brightness/saturation adjusting I was done.

6 comments:

  1. Really nice concept with the temple. I would only suggest you bring out the text slightly more. I only saw the words after I noticed that you had taken the shot of the "Erected" stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the one with your sons. I think you chose the perfect font for brothers. And your sons are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the pictures with your sons. You did a really good job of editing. The only thing I would change is maybe the slant of the erected sign. It looks almost like you meant to have it straight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you did with the Temple. Really a great and creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the picture of the temple with a sunset in the background. And you blended the words into the picture subtly. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the idea of using "Erected 2008" as part of your blend and text. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete